Monday, August 31, 2009

In the lamp light

"Mami will take you to the park tomorrow, if the weather is nice."
I made this promise last night as I kissed EggEgg good night.

Today I've been busy, cleaning, clearing, moving, cooking. I could hardly spare a moment to play with them. The glorious weather beckons us.
"Mami, the park?"
"Not now, not now. Wait until we've had lunch."

EggEgg has been good all day. He managed to stay out of trouble and entertained himself while I continue with my "serious work".
"Mami, the park?"
"After your nap. Wait until you've had your nap."

EggEgg climbed into the bed willingly and napped for most of the afternoon. At 6pm, I heard a quick pattering on the wooden floorboard. EggEgg asked again,
"Mami, the park?"
I drew the curtains and showed him the darkness outside. "Sorry, EggEgg. It's too late and it's dark and chilly outside. Are you sure you still want the park? What about tomorrow?"

"But Mami, the park!"

And so, here I am, walking slowly with a toddler towards the park, holding a dim torch to light our way. EggEgg is carrying his precious green ball, happily bouncing along. A neighbour saw us, slightly amused. "He's going to play ball?"

"Yes, we're going to the park."
"What? At this hour?"
"Well, a promise is a promise."
"I hope he remembers this when he grows up and keeps all his promises to you too."

Basked in the warmth of a yellow lamp light, within that tiny circle of illumination, EggEgg and I enjoyed our little soccer match. The weaning moon smiles upon us. Thus marks another day of his growing up.

Midnight, Not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory? She is smiling alone
In the lamplight, The withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan

Memory, All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days, I was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again

(Memory - From the Cats musical)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.