Monday, June 28, 2010

Birth of the Toximycophobia (Act 1)

Act 1, Scene 1
The rain has finally stopped. I suggested an early evening walk to the supermarket at the end of our street, to pick up some ingredients for dinner.

As we marched on the grassy side-walk, EggEgg stopped and pointed to us, "Look, mami. 蘑菇? Mushroom?"

I was surprised to see three large, red, possibly poisonous mushroom standing at the foot of our neighbour's postbox.

My word of caution to EggEgg, "Those are poisonous mushrooms. You see? They are bright red with white spots. If you touch them, your hands will get very itchy and painful. If you eat them, you will get sick and you might even have to get an ambulance to go to the hospital."

EggEgg became alarmed. "Poisonous mushrooms?"

"Yes, very poisonous. Don't go near them if you see them. Don't use a stick to poke at them. Just leave them alone. Do you understand?" Seeing the nervousness in his countenance, I added, "But don't worry. The mushrooms we bought at the supermarket and cook for dinner are safe, coz they are brown in color. The poisonous ones are red in color."

However, EggEgg didn't seem any relieved. Throughout the rest of the walk, he continuously scanned the grassy footpath, as if dreading to step on a stray poisonous mushroom. Luckily there weren't any more on our way.

**********************
Act 1, Scene 2
On our way back from the supermarket, I challenged EggEgg to our usual race home. EggEgg declined, "No, I don't want to race with Mami today."
"Why?"
"Because there are poisonous mushrooms on the grass."
And so, EggEgg gingerly walked back, with a heavy, distressed heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.