Saturday, November 29, 2008

Trauma of the empty house

Yesterday, we have moved all the furniture to the new house. Cola is due any moment, and I'm pretty helpless with the house move this time round. Tonton has been doing the bulk of the heavy work.

With EggEgg sent away to the grandparents, Tonton & I are making a mad, final attempt into cleaning the townhouse. Tomorrow, we'd be giving back our keys to the landlord, and this place has to be restored to its former condition. I can see mirrors are still to be wiped, walls scratches to be fixed, dark spots to be checked and rechecked.

By late afternoon, our job is almost finished. EggEgg has returned with the grandparents. For some reason, instead of waiting for us in the garage, they have let EggEgg into the townhouse. Tonton is waving him away, for the house is doused in toxic fumes as Tonton sprayed the heavy duty stuff to clean the oven and cooktop.

However, EggEgg is in shock. What's happening here? Where is everything? Where are his toys, his bed, his usual things? He started wailing and demand to be let into the house. Tonton & I are exhausted, and an out-of-control toddler is the last thing we need...

I showed EggEgg around the empty house. I showed EggEgg the blank room where his nursery once was. I showed him the empty wardrobes, the empty garden, the empty lounge. "Your things are in the new house. New house. Do you want a new house?"

Luckily, for EggEgg, the word "new" always works like a charm. Yeah, let's go to the new house. Let's wave this place bye-bye. His tears dried up as I pushed his trike up the driveway and ushered him to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.