Friday, September 19, 2008

A night of turmoil

On Monday, we decided that it's time to move Egg Egg of his wooden cot into a new big king size mattress. And since then, we have not had a peaceful night.

Last night, before putting him to bed, I promised him that I'll bake some chocolate muffins for him to take to the park the next day. He gave a nod of understanding and went to sleep without problem. So I baked and went to bed at 2am.

By 5am, EggEgg was awake and couldn't go to back sleep. He got out of the bed, banged fervently on the nursery door, and demanded somebody attend to him immediately. I woke up, dragged myself to the nursery. He seemed absolutely relieved to see me, and as soon as I held him close, he was sleeping soundly once more. So I crept back into my bedroom.

By 6am, he was awake again. This time, he was raving mad at my earlier disappearance. He arched his back, pulled back from my hugs, screamed, and even chucked his favourite toy tiger in my face. As if to say, "Where the heck did you go, Mami? Why did you leave me all alone?" I could see the fury and disappointment written all over his face.

Then, something amazing happened. I said to him, "Did you remember, last night, I promised to baked you some muffins?" He went silent and listened intently to my explanation. "Well, I did baked lots of yummy muffins for you, and that made me really tired. But you woke up so early, and I was so cold in your bed, so I have to go back to my bed with my big thick quilt. You see, baby, I didn't mean to leave you alone."

There was a flash of deep understanding. He rolled over me and planted lots of kisses on my face, as if to apologize for his outburst. I loved my little boy more than ever. We lie on the bed and watched the sunrise, had breakfast by 7am, and I was a happy sleepy mum.

One of the best advise I've read about parenting was: "You can be extremely tired, but blissfully happy at the same time."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.