Thursday, February 7, 2013

The first magic show


It's mid-summer, and ants are seen scurrying on the dining table and cockroaches lurking in the kitchen.  The weather is not helping my pest control efforts: its hot and rainy and pest spray become quickly washed  away.

The kids, in spite of my constant reminder, they kept dropping bits of cereals and milk during breakfast, biscuits crumbs during afternoon tea and rice on floor during dinner.  This messy habit has to change.  I have an idea...

Tonight, before dinner is served, I announced, "Ahem, everybody. The insects are invading our dining room and kitchen.  I'm tired of asking you to eat properly, so, a new scheme is in place: if you manage to eat without a single dropping of cereals, crumbs and rice in a day, you shall get a reward sticker. Your table, chair and floor will be inspected for immaculate cleanliness.  Whoever gets 5 reward sticker will be taught a magic trick."

EggEgg: "But Mami, what is a magic trick? I've never seen one before."
Cola: "I know what is magic!" (Cos he's just been to a magic show birthday party last month)

To reinforce the idea, I took out my newly arrived Melissa and Doug beginner magic kit and put it in front of them.  (http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Discovery-Magic-Set/dp/B0007OF1QC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360234491&sr=8-2&keywords=melissa+doug++magic)

"See all this colorful boxes and interesting parts? With my magic powers, I'm going to make balls and scarfs and things disappear, or make Daddy's money multiply. Awesome huh? And I shall teach you one trick for every 5 stickers you earned."

The kids admired the kit from a safe distance and look impressed. That very night, I had the cleanest table ever in my 6 years of child raising.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After dinner, I pull Tonton aside and said, "hey, do you want to see me practice some of this new magic kit? I want to show you now before I show the kids."

So we both retreat into the office sneakily, and I begin to rehearse with my "professional looking" (ex-halloween) cloak.  But it's too late, I could see fingers poking down at the door slit.  EggEgg whispered to Cola, "They are inside! The magic show is on! I heard Mami said she's gonna show Daddy some magic! Maybe we can see something from this slit if we lie on the floor."

Too late to hide, so I opened the door and let them in for their first taste of the world of Maaaagiiiiic...

With my best ever earnest performance voice:
"Boys and girls! Welcome to Jappy's magic show tonight. Pull up a stool, yes you and you.  No pushing, get your own stool. I am the magician, see my cloak and magic wand here?"
(Yada...yada... yada... But i could see their eyes grow wider and wider.  Tonton couldn't stop laughing.)

"Does anybody know any magic words?"
Cola: "I know! Adabra!"
EggEgg replied dejectedly: "I don't know any magic words."

"If you don't know any magic words I must teach you right now. It is imperative to know the magic words in the correct language.
If you are an Australian, say, ABRA CA DEBRA!"
"If you are an Indonesian, say, SIM SALA BIM!"  (Giggles)
"If you are a Hong Konger, say, MALI MALI HOM!"
(EggEgg: "I know that one!")

For my first show, I performed the easiest tricks of the lot: "Magic Sword in the Legendary stone", and "Ball Disappearing in the Mysterious Pyramid".  Cola's eyes opened so wide and looked so dead serious when the ball disappeared and reappeared inside the pyramid that I almost wanted to laugh. They are most impressed! The show was a great success!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Those naive children.  They never asked "how?"  They just accepted that it's Mami's magical powers that caused it to happen.  Of course, they wanted to see more.

"Come now, it's bedtime. The show is over. Please come back tomorrow for more.  Otherwise I will use my magic to make you disappear from here."

They couldn't stop talking about it either.  While brushing their teeth in the toilet, EggEgg told Cola, "See? I'm going to make toothpaste magically appear on my brush! Magic!!"

And Cola showed EggEgg, "See? I'm going to make a chain appear in my pants pocket. Magic!!"  Duh.  "And now it's in my other pocket. Magic!!" Duh duh.

When they are in bed, I told Tonton, "Isn't it cool? They loved it! I have been wanting to do this act since i was a kid! Those days, I never have any magic set to play with, and I envied my neighbour's kids so much.  Did you have any magic set as a kid?"

Tonton replied, "Yes I have a magic set, but so what? I'm the only child at home, who am I gonna show it to? My mum and dad won't perform for me either."

"Haha.  You are jealous! Now I'm their new idol!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.