A celebration of everyday moments with my beloved Tonton and 4 boys. A record about the ups and downs of motherhood. The writings are at times pensive, at times joyous; but mostly, tender outpourings direct from the heart.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Today, I tell them the "news"
In the morning, I decide to tell Cola quietly.
'Mami has a baby in the tummy. Do you know?"
For a moment, Cola went quiet to digest the meaning of this.
I continued, "Do you want a brother or a sister?'
He answered in an approval tone, "Ok la."
Then he did the elementary maths in his head, and comes up with an enlightened conclusion. "So, I will have 2 little brothers?"
"What should we name the baby?", I wondered.
"Toneeyau!", he suggested.
"Hey, that's daddy's name."
"Petayau!" "Hey, that's little brother's name. You have to create a new name, not something which has been used."
"Hmmm... how about a chinese name?"
"唔。。。不如叫樓梯啦!"
And yes, that name stuck, and baby's code name is now: 樓梯 ladder (A pun on the surname Lau)
*************************
Later in the afternoon, on the way home from school, I told EggEgg about the baby.
He broke into a confused smile. "Mami, are you telling the truth?"
"Of course I am telling the truth. So what do you think?"
"Ok la." Another nod of approval.
Then he did the advanced maths in his head, and comes up with an enlighten conclusion.
"So, there will be 4 kids at home?"
After the traffic lights, his enthusiasm picked up and EggEgg started bombarding me with questions, "Mami, your tummy will become fat like last time, and you have to go to doctor the time like when Bobo was born?"
"Yeah, yeah. Fat, fat." There is no other word in their dictionary to describe the bloated state of pregnancy.
"And, Mami, how did u make the baby?"
I looked up at the tree and tried to come up with a acceptable answer. "Errr... I just make, lor."
"Like, how?"
"Err... " (I almost fall back upon the traditional line of escape, "Yeah son, you will learn it all in school later.")
I continue to look around the busy road, to see if any other parent can overhear me.
EggEgg came up with the most brilliant answer. "I know! God made it for Mami, right?"
"Oh yes, yes, yes. God made it."
And, whew, luckily he got distracted from that point onwards.
*************************
As for Bobo, he knew it from day one.
(An innate ability to detect the presence of future siblings?)
Everyday, he lift up my tshirt and kiss my belly for no reason. It has become his ritual.
I have a good feeling that they are all gonna be fine together. The four of them.
All boys? Who knows.
about
Good morning sunshine
1 comment:
Gosh, number 4 (in 6 years) Evelyn! I'm very impressed! Good luck with the new pregnancy...
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.