After a time-out session, he announced articulately, "Today I don't like Mami. Mami is urk (yucky). I don't want to play with Mami. I will play with Poh Poh. I will play with Ba Ba."
In reply, I said, "Fine, then don't play with me. I'm glad to be rid of you too."
Thinking about it, Cola has been the center of our attention lately. He's invented new dance moves, he started to walk and talk, and he knows how to tug everybody's heartstrings. Unlike EggEgg who ignores Tonton whenever he comes home, Cola gets excited to see Daddy's face appear in the evening. He crawls as quickly as possible towards the door, and gets a thrill out of being thrown in the air.
On the other hand, EggEgg's strategy for seeking attention is by incessant badgering.
"EggEgg wants water, EggEgg wants water, EggEgg wants water."
"Mami listen to me. EggEgg wants water, wants water, wants water. EggEgg is thirsty arghhhhhh."
I've really, really tried to like him. While Cola is asleep, we sneaked out to play in the backyard, took turns riding the scooter, read stories, but he still demands more! more! more! Even in our play, his bossiness takes over and it's annoying to hear him say constantly, "No! No! Not this way." What a picky, demanding little guy! What a turn off!
Over the past 12 months, we've come a long way, surviving the stage of the terrible twos. EggEgg is much more articulate and reasonable now, but, where has the cuteness and sweetness gone?
1 comment:
For a moment there, I thought I red about Nina. But since I don't call her Egg-egg I realised that she has her sole mate in Sydney :-)
Gosh, the way you describe him is just the way Nina is (and has always been in some way), the only difference is that she hasn't got a sibling to fight for the attention with. Doesn't help. She can never get enough attention. When I spend the day with her, she demands me even more the next day. And it's: I want Milk...Mummy, I want milk...mummy MILK...MUMMY MIIIILK!!! It's like it needs to happen yesterday.
Or today in the shop: No, I don't want to go there, I want to go here, no, not there, here...I WANT to...I DON'T want to...jada-jada-jada. Always the opposite of what I suggest, and always whining.
Gosh, she drives me mad some days. And I really get worried that I will have trouble loving my kids equally if she get's a sister or brother one day, and that baby has a different personality :-(
But it helps to read about someone else with the same personality, because some days I think: Why did I get the difficult one...nobody I know have a child with the same behaviour, and they don't understand what I'm talking about (and I don't want to sound ungrateful, but even if I love Nina more than anything, she really dries me mad some days).
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with other struggeling mum's out there :-)
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.