A celebration of everyday moments with my beloved Tonton and 4 boys. A record about the ups and downs of motherhood. The writings are at times pensive, at times joyous; but mostly, tender outpourings direct from the heart.
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Big questions: What will happen after I finish kindy?
"What will happen after I finish kindy?"
That was the question I asked my grandmother 30 years ago. And she answered slowly,
"After kindy, you will go to primary school for 6 years. Then you will go to junior high school for 3 years. And then you will go to senior high school for 3 years. And then you will go to university."
"And then? What happens after university?"
"Well, hopefully you will find somebody to get married."
"And then? What happens after getting married?"
She never finished explaining it to me. It has to be her fault, not charting out a course for my life from that point on, and so here I am today, living without a sense of direction. Heehee.
And today, my 4yo EggEgg asked me the same question, "What will happen after I finish kindy?"
In the same tone as my grandmother, I explained to EggEgg,
"After kindy, you will go to primary school for 6 years. Then you will go to high school for 6 more years."
"Which high school?" EggEgg is considering the choice of a high school so soon?!
"Well, around this area there's Epping Boys, Normandurst boys, and if you are really really smart, you can go to James Ruse in Carlingford. But wait! If you like wearing a pink dress, you can go to Cheltenham Girls, you know..."
EggEgg breaks into one of his trademark silly grins as soon as I mentioned Cheltenham Girls. He's very shy when he's being teased.
"And afterwards you will go to university."
"And then? After university, do I go to work?"
"Yes you go to work. Done." He seemed satisfied with my answer.
As children, we accepted the roles that society has carved out for us without questions. Girls, your goal in life is to get married. Boys, your mission in life is to work.
I wonder what I should answer if there were just one more question from EggEgg, "And then, after working, what's next?"
about
Lessons big and small
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.