Friday, July 11, 2008

Where's the Fish Floss in my Congee?

"This is called 'Fish Floss'. It's really yummy, and Mami's going to pour some onto your congee for you."

Yesterday, we made plain rice congee for poor EggEgg who's been feeling unwell. To make the congee taste more flavoursome, I pulled out a can of Fish Floss from the cabinet and taught him the name of this item. EggEgg have a look of understanding, and would reject my spoonful of congee if they do not get sufficiently coated with Fish Floss. That afternoon, he finished the entire bowl of congee in record time.

Tonight's dinner was corn & chicken congee. EggEgg climbed into his high chair eagerly, but inspected the congee and gave a look of disapproval. He refused to eat a single spoonful of the stuff and pointed to the pantry cupboard repeatedly. "Ah ah, uh uh!"

I thought, "Oh no. He wanted to eat Nutrigrain cereal for dinner again?!" (The other week when he discovered the box of Nutrigrain, and demanded it for breakfast, lunch and dinner all day long.) So I told EggEgg firmly, "No, you must eat congee tonight. Not Nutrigrain!"

He got really frustrated, climbed down from his high chair and started frantically pulling opening the pantry doors. He kept looking around the pantry and even went probing into the kitchen shelves, as if something important is missing. After a long futile search, he wept miserably.

All this time, we were wondering what he was looking for. Suddenly, I got it! (See? Mummies do know best!) "Aha! Are you looking for 'Fish Floss'?" EggEgg looked so relieved that one of us adults could finally understand him. The smile on his face was just priceless. I felt so proud of him & myself. Hee hee.

That night, EggEgg had been rewarded with loads of Fish Floss on his congee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.